To quickly create a course session for delivering your published course, follow these steps:
Create Course Session
- From the course editor page, click on the schedule button in the toolbar. You will see this button only when the course is in the Published state (not in re-edit). You can do these steps from the Course Details page also
- Now from the dialog select one of the group from the drop-down where you would like the schedule the course, the drop-down will show
- Authorized groups for the course, if the course is authorized only to selected groups (you authorize the selected groups to course by referring to authorization article) where you are an admin or instructor
- All groups from the site where you are an admin or instructor if the course is authorized to all users in the site
Note: If you don't see a particular group in the drop-down menu, make sure to check your role in that group.
- Specify the Access Type (default is 'By Invite' ).
- By Invite, admin/group admins will enroll learners in the course session and course sessions are not listed in catalog and not available for self enrollment.
- Paid, Paid course session's are listed in catalog for self enrollment and user can follow payment flow to enroll in CS and as part of the enrollment user is added in course session's parent group.
you would have to add payment details (you would also need to enable payment integration before this, read more about it in monetization settings for the microsite).
- Open, Open course sessions are not listed in public catalog (guest user view), Course sessions are available for CS's parent group members only in catalog list (If catalog setting show all access Type is enabled) and group members can self enroll.
- Open-Group Admin's approval/Open-Instructors approval, Course sessions are available for CS's parent group members only and group members can self enroll but group admin/instructor will approve the enrollment. Users can access the course session upon approval.
- Specify Max subscription Days, if you want to provide each learner access for a specific number of days from the time they join the course session (regardless of how far in future the course session's end date is).
- Click on Save
- For the selected start/end dates, a course session will get created
- If you had checked the Enroll Group Members checkbox, then all group members with the learner role will be enrolled in the course session. You can also specify whether to immediately send the enrollment email (another checkbox will be shown if you choose to enroll all group members where you can specify whether to send email to the learners who get enrolled). If the group's auto enroll setting is enabled then also all group members will get enrolled.
Note: You can enroll learners later as well, and you can edit more advanced options of the course session after Save. E.g. making the course Paid, adding coupon codes, or picking and enrolling learners individually
Once the course session is created, you will be taken to the course session details page. The course session details page provides the option to edit the course session and its settings.
Edit Course Session
By default, the name of the course is used as the name of the course session, but you can rename the session by clicking on the Edit button. The course session's name/code/access type etc can be updated from the edit page.
The Edit page also presents two additional tab Schedule and Version. Version tab provides course session's version history (who and when course session was updated) and Schedule tab allows course session's module level scheduling.
There are several other settings in the course session which you can configure by accessing the Settings menu.
Course Session Details page shows several panels with different kinds of details about the session.
- Description: By default, the course description is set for the course session description. The course session description can be updated using the Edit Course session page.
- Course Session Updates: Shows the collaboration activities like forum, polls, and resource sharing in the course session and allows anyone to post an update for all the members of the session.
- Course Browser: Shows module/topic schedules and allows drill-down into the course hierarchy and launch of any particular lesson/quiz/SCORM
- Stats: Brief stats about the number of lessons, quizzes, etc in the course, number of learners in the course session and their brief progress details
- Properties: Brief info about the session.
- Instructors: All members with an instructor role in the session. By default, the creator of the course session becomes the instructor in the session, who can then add more instructors. Note that each member in the session can have either the instructor or learner role.
- Sub Groups: Shows existing subgroups in the course session, and allows the instructor/admin to create new subgroups.
- Placements for Additional Content: Four predefined sections are provided to add additional details about the course session. Payment Info, Big Banner, Small Banner, Learning Objective. These placements are used in the course catalog, to display information about the paid course sessions. Read more about monetization of courses to learn more about these placements.
You can add/hide additional panels from the course session details page, by editing the settings.
Note: Course session details page is visible to learners as well as admin/instructors. If you have purely self-paced courses and have no scheduled exams, assignments or collaboration activities in the course session, then you can hide course session details page from learners by opening the Settings from the More Actions menu. On the setting page, you can turn off Hide course session details page from learners option
Course Session Listing
Course session listing page provides sites all exiting sessions list, It provides filtering option to view 'My enrolled Sessions' or 'All scheduled' sessions.
The listing page provides filtering on course name, course session name, CS status, metadata filters, groups, and CS custom properties. Page provided download option to download list (same page) or download all pages.
The list can be sorted on Name, Code, Start Date, Due Date, and the option is available to set the default sorting criteria.