Course Session Creation
To quickly create course session for delivering your published course, follow these steps
- From the course editor page, click on the schedule button in the toolbar. You will see this button only when course is in Published state (not in re-edit). You can do these steps from the Course Details page also
- Now from the dialog select one of the group from the drop down where you would like the schedule the course, the drop down will show
- Authorized groups for the course, if the course is authorized only to selected groups (you authorize the selected groups to course by referring to authorization article) where you are an admin or instructor
- All groups from the site where you are an admin or instructor, if the course is authorized to all users in the site
Note: If you don't see a particular group in the drop down, make sure to check your role in that group.
- Specify the Access Type (default is By Invite which means admin will add learners in the course session). For paid access, you would have to add payment details (you would also need to enable payment integration before this, read more about it in monetization settings for the microsite)
- Specify Max subscription Days, if you want to give access to specific number of days to every learner from the time they join the course session (regardless of how far in future the course session's end date is).
- Click on Save
- For the selected start/end dates, a course session will get created
- If you had checked the Enroll Group Members checkbox, then all group members with learner role will be enrolled in the course session. You can also specify whether to immediately send the enrollment email (another checkbox will be shown if you choose to enroll all group members where you can specify whether to send email to the learners who get enrolled). If the group's auto enroll setting is enabled then also all group members will get enrolled.
Note: You can enroll learners later as well, and you can edit more advanced options of the course session after Save. E.g. making the course Paid, adding coupon codes, or picking and enrolling learners individually
Once the course session is created, you will be taken to the course session details page. By default, name of the course is used as name of the course session, but you can rename the session by clicking on Edit button. There are several other settings in the course session which you can configure by Settings menu.
Course Session Details page shows several panels with different kind of details about the session.
- Description: By default course description is set for course session description. course session description can be updated using Edit Course session page.
- Course Session Updates: Shows the collaboration activities like forum, polls, resource sharing in the course session, and allows anyone to post an update for all the members of the session
- Course Browser: Shows module/topic schedules and allows drill down into the course hierarchy, and launch of any particular lesson/quiz/scorm
- Stats: Brief stats about number of lessons, quizzes etc in the course, number of learners in the course session and their brief progress details
- Properties: Brief info about the session
- Instructors: All members with instructor role in the session. By default, the creator of course session becomes instructor in the session, who can add more instructors. Note that each member in the session can have either instructor or learner role
- Sub Groups: Shows existing sub groups in the course session, and allows instructor/admin to create new sub groups
- Placements for Additional Content: Four predefined sections are provided to add additional details about course session. Payment Info, Big Banner, Small Banner, Learning Objective. These placements are used in the course catalog, to display information about the paid course sessions. Read more about monetization of courses to learn more about these placements
You can add/hide additional panels from the course session details page, by editing the settings.
Note: Course session details page is visible to learners as well as admin/instructors. If you have purely self paced courses and have no scheduled exams, assignments or collaboration activities in the course session, then you can hide course session details page from learners by opening the Settings from the More Actions menu. On the setting page you can turn off Hide course session details page from learners option
Course Session Management
- Course Session Creation
- Course Session Configuration (Settings)
- Course Session Module level Scheduling
- Managing Learners/ Instructors
- Self Enrollment with Approval
- Online Paid Courses (Monetization)
- Course Catalog Customization
- Restricting catalog item's visibility for group members
- Coupon Code Management
- Automatic Free Access Codes
- Monitoring Trainee's progress
- Max attempts for a quiz, allowing more attempts
- Custom Grading Scheme
- Course Completion
- Embed in other sites
- Attendance Tracking
- iCal Integration (Outlook, Google Calendar)
- Sub Groups
- Controlling content access based on user's group membership
- Instructor led trainings
- WebEx Integration (ILT)
- ReadyTalk Integration (ILT)
- GotoMeeting / GotoWebinar Integration (ILT)