Course Editor Overview
High Level Workflow for Course Management
EduBrite platform allows both creation and delivery of courses, therefore it is important to understand a high level picture of how things work, during and after the course creation. Courses are collection of resources (lessons, scorms and quizzes) which you first author and then you deliver it to trainees by creating course sessions.
- Step1: Creating Course Structure & Content
- Modules and Topics: In the course editor, you will create modules (folders). You can create hierarchy in courses by adding topics (sub-folders) inside modules
- Lessons: You will add lessons (content items) by choosing from several types of lessons allowed in the editor. All lessons must be inside some module or topic. In general you upload any existing PPT, PDF, DOC, FLV, MP4 or MP3 files as your lesson content. If you created PPT/PDF/DOC lesson then you can also add additional video/audio for it which will play along with the slides. You can also create lessons by using YouTube/Vimeo videos. Just select the appropriate type of lesson when the lesson wizard presents you with choices
- Quiz: One or more quizzes can be added in each module or topic. The quiz or survey has to be created beforehand, and you will be allowed to link it in the course. Same quiz can be linked in multiple courses.
- SCORM: If you have scorm packages, you can upload the zip file containing scorm package directly in the course or in any module or topic
- Preview - You can preview the course anytime during authoring. Preview will load the course content in Course Player, which is how trainees will see the course
- Step 2: Course Authorization
- By default editor sets authorization level of the created course at Site level, which means all users of site can view it as a resource
- But in almost all training use cases, you should change the authorization to Selected Groups, and add authorized groups (your site must already have some groups created)
- Ownership: by default the course creator also becomes owner of the course, which prevents any other user in site to edit it. You can change the ownership and make it owned by a group rather than a user. Then any admin or instructor in that group can edit it.
- Step 3: Publish
- Publish the course once you have done these steps. Publish will make the course active
- Step 4: Schedule
- You can deliver the course by scheduling it for a period and it is called a course session. Each session is targeted to a specific group. A course can be scheduled any number of times.
- Step 5: Enroll
- Once you have created a course session, you can add trainees for that session. Or change the course session's access type to Open or Paid to enable self enrollment
Getting Familiar with the User Interface
Course editor allows creation of courses which can have multiple lessons, scorm packages and quizzes organized into hierarchical folders called modules and topics. The editor consists of Top Level Tabs to select content or property editing, a course outline, Toolbar, Statusbar and Content region.
Top Level Tabs
The editor consists of a Property tab and a Content tab at the top, to edit the property or content of any item in the course.
Properties Tab - this tab provides a view and editing ability for all the properties of the currently selected item. For most items, a form like interface is shown which allows editing of values. Common properties include duration of the item in days, hours and minutes. For lessons and test, you can set visibility conditions from the properties tab.
Content Tab - this tab provides a thumbnail view of most items (except scorm and videos). For online edited lessons, it also provides a rich text editor.
Authorization Tab - this tab provides ability to select access level, course owner and authorized groups for the course.
A course outline (tree view of items) allows selection of any item in the course for editing. The first item in the course outline is Course itself, which allows setting some properties which are course specific. Different types of icons are used in the course outline to represent various types of lessons, quizzes, modules, topics and scorm content. You can expand and collapse an item by double clicking on the item's icon. Common actions on any item are available thru Context menu, which can be activated by right click on any item. The regular click (Left click) will activate the item and the editor area will get refreshed with Item specific content.
|Lesson - uploaded file|
|Lesson - online edited|
|Lesson - You tube video|
|Lesson - Recorded or uploaded video|
|Quiz or Survey|
Right click context menus in course outline view
Context menu provides different options, when clicked on course Vs module node. Clicking on course node presents fillowing menu, which allows adding new module, scorm or deleting a course.
Clicking on a module shows following context menu, which allows adding new lesson, topic or scorm item. You can also delete a module from the context menu. Clicking any topic node under the module provides same set of options.
the context menu provide a quick way to perform actions on any item in the course, without activating the item.
Toolbar buttons are rendered depending on the currently selected item in the course outline viewer. Each item type may have different actions depending on current status of the item and course.
Actions On Course
|Schedule the course (course session creation)|
|New Scorm 2004 package|
|New Scorm 1.2 package|
|Upload a zip of entire course content in EduBrite supported format|
|Import module from another course|
|View revisions history|
Actions on Module and Topic
|Upload Multiple lessons in a module|
|Upload from Dropbox|
|Move Up (at the same level)|
|Move Down (at the same level)|
|Import module/topic content from another course (recursive linking)|
|Import lesson or scorm from a HTTP url (any cloud url)|
Actions on Lesson
|Upload Files (for lessons of type File), Videos (for Video lesson) in Lesson|
|Move Up (at the same level)|
|Move Down (at the same level)|
|Format - Heading|
|Format - Bold|
|Format - Italics|
|Format - Underlined|
|Insert Attachment (images)|
|Format - Ordered (numbered) List|
|Format - Unordered List|
|Format - Indent Left|
|Format - Indent Right|
The content region is also rendered depending on the selcted item in the course outline, and the currently active top level tab. You will edit the properties as well as add content, videos in the same content region in the editor. Content region supports drag and drop of files from your machine, depending on the currently selected item and status of the item and course. It also provides a thumbnail view of lessons and pages inside the lessons.
Statusbar displays the additional information about the currently selected item in the course outline, status of the course and other contextual information.
- User Interface
- Editing/Adding Lesson Content
- Lessons using voiced/animated powerpoint
- Emedded content (video, iframe)
- Adding Tests / Surveys (Evaluations)
- Generating Test
- Rearranging course items
- Presenter Notes
- Timing lesson / slides (syncing video)
- Course & Module Properties
- Lesson Properties
- Editing Lesson TOC
- Editing Quiz Properties
- Scheduling the course and adding members
- Course Details
- Importing lessons from other courses (linking lessons)
- Bulk upload of entire course, or several modules
- Share course on LinkedIn and Facebook
- Course Sharing in Multiple Sites
- Additional Downloadable Resources
- Import content from Confluence in Courses
- Import content from Dropbox
- Course Archiving